Saturday, February 19, 2011

Artist Statement
Inspired by the decorative arts and formalism, I create contemporary ceramic installations using appropriated motifs. Growing up I observed a rich, lush, luxurious and traditional sensibility within the domestic space. Generations of women in my family have formed a specific idea of what it is to decorate a space and how it is to be done. As an artist I am following the same rules while playing with the formal design elements. I reference this traditional sensibility and
re- contextualize it within modernity. I am drawn to the idea of deconstructing historical, contemporary and domestic design to construct a new composition. This method of looking, choosing, deconstructing and reconstructing has inspired me to explore arrangement and layering of rich color, line and form.

No comments:

Post a Comment